Top 8 Clinical Tips for Overall Health & Wellness
Oct 25, 2018
1. Drink more water. You need it, and lots of it.
You should be drinking at least half your body weight in ounces of water each day, and if you exercise or spend time outdoors in a hot climate, you’ll need even more. All this water consumption plays an important role in making sure you’re detoxifying and eliminating waste properly.We know water by itself isn’t the most✨exciting✨ beverage in the world, but there are lots of ways to spice it up. Try flavoring your water with lemon, orange peel, limes, cucumber, fresh herbs and frozen fruit like berries. Get some delicious water infusion inspohere!
2. Get those REM cycles in.
It’s recommended that adults get between 7-9 hours of sleep per night.Practicing good sleep hygiene is one of the first steps you can take to improve the quality and amount of sleep you’re getting every night. Having a sleep schedule, creating a calming bedroom environment and keeping TV’s and tablets out of your sleep space. Read more about sleep hygiene habits you can implement in your nightly routine here.
3. Eat real, good-for-you foods.
Aim to put only real, whole foods in your grocery cart. Try to always read ingredient labels and if there’s an ingredient you don’t recognize (or can’t pronounce), don’t eat it. Some of the best dietary science points towards eating keto, anti-inflammatory, vegan or grain-free. Everyone’s body is different, so no one diet works for every person, but feel free to explore different options and see what makes you feel your best!
Some general food tips to follow include:
· Try to limit intake of sugar and eliminateartificial sweeteners altogether.
· Increase the colorful foods on your plate with fruits and vegetables like blueberries, raspberries, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, green leafy vegetables, bok choy and zucchini.
· If you eat meat, try switching to high quality proteins like grass-fed meat, pasture-raised chicken and eggs, and wild fish, when possible.
· Upgrade healthy fats to include coconut oil, avocados, olives, nuts, seeds, wild salmon and olive oil.
· Work on reducing top inflammatory foods including sugar, trans-fats, processed meats, alcohol, gluten, and any other personal food sensitivities. If you’re not sure what foods you may be sensitive too, check your individual sensitives withWellnicity’s food sensitivities test.
4. Treat yo’ skin.
Our skin is our largest organ and it can absorb whatever you put on it from soap, to makeup, to fragrances. The average woman puts over 500 synthetic chemicals on her body daily.? Try to switch out products with lots of synthetic chemicals to more natural options, including soap, shampoo, makeup, laundry detergent and sunscreen.
5. Get your sweat on.
For the average adult, aim to incorporate 30-60 minutes of exercise, 3-5 days a week. You don’t have to trudge up the Stairmaster every day either, there’s lots of different types of exercise you can do! Try a new workout class, bring a friend and get your sweat on together. Read more about the benefits of exercise here.
6. Chill out.
Too much stress negatively affects both your physical and mental health. Find tools to reduce stress that fit into your daily or weekly routine like massage, Epsom salt baths and yoga or meditation.?
7. Supplement your diet.
Even the healthiest of diets may be missing key nutrients, and supplementation can help fill in any deficiencies. Many people eat similar foods on repeat, (guilty?) meaning that you’re not getting a variety of vitamins and nutrients. If you’re not sure where to start, some key basic supplements include fish oil, magnesium, vitamin D and probiotics. If you have any questions about including supplements into your daily routine, you can always call a Wellnicity clinician for recommendations. We’d love to chat with you about supplements and vitamins!
8. Floss is your friend.
Poor oral health can contribute to cardiovascular disease and endocarditis. Incorporating good dental hygiene into your morning and nightly routine can help combat the chance of disease, and can save you from expensive and painful trips to the dentist. Floss daily, and try an electric toothbrush or a Waterpik to help you achieve a healthy and beautiful smile!