6 Ways to Fight a Hangover and Actually Win
Alyse Snyder, L.Ac., Dipl. OM - Aug 22, 2017
We all know what the physical symptoms of a hangover are... you drink too much alcohol and the next morning you have to deal with the headache, nausea, fuzzy brain, stomach and body aches. But what's really causing you to feel this way?
Hangovers stem from dehydration as excess alcohol upsets the production of vasopressin, a hormone that controls fluid balance. As you're enjoying an alcohol-based drink, the alcohol inhibits hormones from leaving the pituitary gland. These hormones normally help the kidneys to reabsorb water and electrolytes. Frequent bathroom breaks are common during a night of drinking because instead of the fluids being absorbed, they're released as urine. In the morning, your body hasn't retained a proper amount of fluids which causes you to feel hungover.
Reduce the effects of your next hangover with these six miracle-workers:
- Dihydromyricetin is a potent herbal anti-oxidant and helps reduce GABA levels in the brain to prevent severe intoxication and subsequent effects.
- Methyl B-Plex contains professional grade B-vitamins which are essential for fluid and electrolyte balance. Taking a healthy dose of B-vitamins before a night out helps to prevent the severity of dehydration from drinking.
- Milk Thistle is a natural herb that has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that is commonly used to detoxify the body, especially the liver.
- Dandelion helps to cleanse our livers and keep them working properly. Dandelions aid our digestive system by maintaining the proper flow of bile.
- Artichoke contains a specific substance called cynarin that positively stimulates the production of bile. Bile is produced by the liver and helps absorption of nutrients. Artichoke also has the ability to reduce inflammation and nourishes the gut lining and liver.
- Licorice helps to increase immunity. Along with a hangover, alcohol can also decrease your immune system. One study published in Food Chemistry described licorice as having "antioxidant, free-radical scavenging, immunostimulating properties".
These helpful vitamins and supplements are all found in Wellnicity's Hangover Pack.
Many other hangover cures only focus on the liver, while Wellnicity's pack also includes a high-grade B vitamin to increase electrolytes and Dihydromyricetin to reduce GABA levels in the brain.
Taking supplements that focus on the whole body helps to reduce a hangover more effectively. As a preventative measure, we recommend drinking water throughout the night while drinking alcohol and taking the Wellnicity Hangover Pack before going to sleep with a glass of water.